Tuesday 29 May 2012

Time For Tea

I'm not sure I want to jump on the Jubilee merchandise bandwagon, freaky paper Queen masks with even freakier eye holes just don't rock my world.  Of course, this could all change if I come across something with the right blend of nostalgia, fashion credentials and fun - watch this space.

Instead, for now, I'm going to pay tribute to a truly British wardrobe staple.  The Tea Dress.  Much like a good brew it's reliable, seems to solve all meltdowns, has infinite longevity and looks fabulous accessorised with a slice of Victoria Sponge.  The garment dates back to the introduction of afternoon tea itself when women discovered a tea gown was roomy enough to take a very indulgent high tea.  It's such a simple notion.  A dress which usually has a teasingly low V, with cute-as-a-button cap sleeves, and a flirty little skirt.  It transforms you into a WWII land girl who's going to a dance to bag herself a soldier on leave.  It makes you want to do the jitterbug - any excuse to flash a bit of stocking!

The Inspiration


The Edge of Love - like most Sienna films.  Not fantastic, but a dream to look at.


The Land Girls - a tea dress looks fab with a jumper thrown over the top.

The Best Out There Now







The Best There Ever Were

In my humble opinion, no one in recent years has done one quite like Ms. Moss.  Kate's teas dresses for Topshop were the star pieces of the collections, season after season.  They sold out instantly and STILL go for £150 plus on ebay.  And I should know, I'm currently eyeing up my third.


My original.  Faded green pansies intertwined with barbed wire.


My second and my most treasured piece of clothing.  


 With any luck, my future.  To bid or to 'Buy It Now'?

The Shoes


For an elegant day look


For 'I've just thrown them on' cool


For sundown

1 comment:

  1. Yes! You adn your red tea dress is still a vivid image in my mind! I'm sure Kaitlin would agree too.

    ReplyDelete